Clients served in 2011
STI/HIV and health screening services
Calls to our call centre in 2011
What we do in the UK
Marie Stopes International has been providing sexual and reproductive healthcare since 1976. Our friendly, professional teams are experts in both female and male reproductive healthcare and offer a range of services for our clients’ individual needs:
- abortion advice, information, and treatment - offering support for women with unplanned pregnancies and - for those who choose not to continue the pregnancy - safe abortion services
- counselling - we believe women should have access to impartial, non-judgemental and professional counselling, and offer this support free of charge
- family planning – we discuss contraceptive choices with all of our clients, offering everything from condoms, implants and IUDs to permanent methods such as vasectomies
- STI and HIV testing – we offer a comprehensive STI and HIV testing service
- local HIV services to ensure qualified support, and
- health screening – providing comprehensive health checks for both men and women including cervical and testicular cancer, breast and prostate problems.
How we deliver services
We provide a full range of sexual and reproductive healthcare services through:
- our nationwide network of centres
- Early Medical Units, smaller facilities often within local GP surgeries that provide contraceptives and early medical abortion consultations and treatment
- One Call, our dedicated helpline open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days of the year.
One Call’s trained healthcare professionals and independent counsellors work alongside our centres to ensure our clients receive the highest possible level of care. It receives over 315,000 calls a year and gave counselling to over 2,859 people last year.